All About My Brother's Table
Welcome To Our Table!
Founded in 1982 My Brother’s Table, the largest soup kitchen on the North Shore, has provided over 3 million hot, free meals and outreach to men, women and children in need. Last year alone MBT served over 186,000 meals.
Since the second year of operation MBT has been open 365 days a year, through snow and ice storms, power outages and other difficult events. My Brother’s Table has been open over 10,000 consecutive days, offering free meals to everyone who comes to our door, regardless of race, color, creed or sex.
My Brother’s Table has been able to provide meals and a wide range of other services to those in need in our community through the support of donors and over 2,500 volunteers each year.
In addition to serving meals 7 days a week MBT provides meals to homebound individuals, participates in a family dinner program, provides meals to at risk-seniors, and hosts a free weekly medical clinic.
Today the problems of hunger and poverty continue to exist in Lynn and across the country.
About Our Guests
For many of our guests we continue to be their only source of daily nourishment.
• While many of our guests come to My Brother’s Table for economic reasons or because they do not have a home or access to a kitchen where they live, others come for the hospitality and companionship our dining room provides.
• Over 60% of our guests come to MBT every day.
• 9 out of 10 of our guests have been homeless at least once in their lives.
• 25% of our guests are currently working or have worked in the past year.
• A quarter of our guests are over 50 years old.
• Approximately 70% of our guests have a disability.
• Over 50% of our guests have not completed 12 years of school.
• Approximately 20% of Lynn residents live below the poverty level. The poverty rate in the state of Massachusetts is 10%.
• 1 in 5 people in Lynn are considered food insecure, meaning that they do not have the resources to guarantee adequate access to proper nutrition.
|In order to insure the privacy of our guests and to serve the greatest number of people in need, My Brother’s Table is entirely funded by private donors and businesses. We do not solicit or accept government grants and are not a United Way affiliate.|
|My Brother’s Table is a 501(c)(3) organization and donations to MBT are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.|
Hunger In Lynn
Today the problems of hunger and poverty continue to exist in the city of Lynn. Today there are more hungry families in need. There is a big rise in the number of working poor as well as continued tragedy of homelessness.
MBT Presenter Available
Is your group looking for a speaker? Dianne and other staff members from the Table are available to speak to groups of all sizes.
If you are interested about knowing more please feel free to contact Dianne:
(781) 595-3224 email@example.com
Did You Know...
Hospitality is at the root of everything My Brother’s Table does. We have shared our table with our neighbors since 1982 and will continue to do so with dignity, humor, love and kindness.